Monday, February 9, 2009

The old shell game

Last week I added a couple of entries to the folder options that you see when you right click on a folder in Windows on both my work and home computers.
One was for printing folder contents, another was for the command prompt.
I did this through the Control Panel->Folder Options->File Types, the selecting File Folder and hitting the Advanced button.
I am running Windows XP Professional v5.1 in both work and home.

Works a treat, except I found that afterwards on my work pc, everytime I double clicked on a folder in the right hand pane of the windows explorer I got a search box, rather than the folder opening. On my home laptop I got a command prompt box opening up.

It seems that adding these entries to the Folder Options somehow screwed up the registry for shell32.dll, which has among other things the task of keeping track how to open folders and files.

The solution was to re-register the dll. From Start->Run:
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

That's it.

No comments: